This months book review is on Die Empty written by Todd Henry. I personally am an avid fan of his work and I listen to his podcast, Accidental Creative, every time it comes out, but that is a story for a different time.
Find your passion and make it a priority!
BLUF: This book is amazing and is a quick read, which is really good because you will want to read it more than once. Putting all the amazing actions into motion will take you a bit more time.
RESONATE: One of the key points of the book that resonated with me for the first time that I read it was the simplification of the three types of work that we do:
- Meshing: activites that stretch and grow you
- Making: actually doing the work
- Mapping: Planning, plotting objectives, and setting priorities
The combination of the these three activities combines into four different personality types: driver, dreamer, developer, and drifter. I personally am a drifter!
5 Action Items to Implement from the book
- Find Your Personal Tribe. Identify two people that you can meet with regularly and who can keep you on track.
- Set goals that make your Uncomfortable. Set a daily goal, a two week goal, and one long arc goal that will force you to continually move forward.
- Figure out why you Wander. Evaluate that you are doing something that you stand for and close all the open loops.
- Cultivate a Service Mindset. Every action you take should be influenced by Generosity, Initiative, Forward Momentum and Transparency.
- Seek opportunities to do better work.